Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Wax Museum Q&A

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening Parents and Friends-
As you know we have been working on reading informational texts and learning all about lots of important people by reading biographies. We have been identifying important events in the lives of people we have been reading about (RI.5.7), learning about their influences and point of view. We have sequenced events in the lives of the people we have read about. We have looked at the events in their lives and looked at what caused them and what the effects have been (RI.5.5) In our literacy groups we have all read a biography and made time lines of the of the life of the person we studied and taught the class a few facts about them too. This is all leading up to one BIG event- The 2nd annual Garth 5th Grade Wax Museum!!!


Yes, I know you have heard all about it and hopefully you all have been working on your reports and projects at home. I have sent home a few packets full of information and I hope you have gotten that and fully understand the project. We have been posting information in the newsletter the past few weeks and we talk about the project daily in class. I have only heard from a few students and parents with questions, but here are a few you may have. I am hoping to clear up any misconceptions.

Q: Do they have to type the report?
A: The report will be written on the form that I have given to them. This makes it very easy for them to organize their information

Q: When is the report due?
A:The report and the trifold poster will be due on 1/24. This allows us to present in class Thursday 1/24, Friday 1/25 and Monday 1/28 to our peers before we present in the museum on 1/29.


Q: Do I have to buy a costume?
A: NO! You can make it from things you have around the house. I told the kids to think about possible costume ideas when choosing their hero.

Q: Where can I get a trifold poster?
A: WalMart, Kroger and possible KMart carry them. You can also get them at office supply stores. A poster board will be sufficient, but the trifold board works much better for our set up in the cafeteria.

Q: What day will my child present in class?
A: They will either present on 1/24, 1/25 or 1/28. Depending on how many we get done each day.

Q: Are parents and friends invited to the museum?
A: YES!! The museum will be open to the public on Tuesday 1/29 from 10:00-12:30. The cost is FREE. Stop by anytime and meet 92 American Heroes.

Q: What should a good poster look like?
A: In the packet I sent home I had pictures of quality posters. I also included a rubric so you could see exactly how I will be scoring the report, poster, costume and presentation. You can also see the blog post from last year for ideas.

Q: Do you have any examples of past projects?
A: Why yes I do! However, be creative and come up with your own ideas. This is only our second museum so we are still learning. Your ideas will be great and I am so excited to see what you come up with.

Q: Do I need to bring props and wear a costume the day of the report?
A: No, they only need to bring the book report and the poster. Save all props and costumes for the day of the wax museum.

Q: What should the oral report look/sound like?
A: This is just a chance to tell about the person  you learned about- to be the teacher. It could be just telling the facts you learned, it could be sharing your poster and reading your 10 facts. It should not be longer than 2 minutes. It is not a formal speech, they can use note cards if necessary and use their poster board for a reference. This is a practice for the facts we will be presenting in the wax museum.

Q: How many times will I have to give my talk during the wax museum?
A: It could be one or two times or up to 12-15 times. Depending on how many people come up to you and push your button. We will know these facts before the day is done for sure.

If you have any questions about this please let me know. This is such a fun project for these kids and we learn so much from each other. To see pictures from last year's wax museum please go HERE.

Thanks for stopping by & hopefully I will get this ol' blog up and running again! I cannot get pictures to load here at school- but I am working on it.
Mrs. Snyder



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments